We’re looking for an experienced mortgage professional who is prepared to make a difference in the lives of customers looking to buy their first home! The Community Mortgage Banker must be ready and eager to excel in a quickly growing not-for-profit mortgage lender. Please take a look at the job description below. If it sounds like a good fit, email your resume and cover letter to hr@springboardSE.org.
Based in Riverside, CA, San Diego, CA, Dallas, TX or Orlando, FL
The Community Mortgage Banker (CMB) works independently within clear guidelines and established procedures, assisting clients through the home loan application, approval and closing process aligning sales efforts and activities to uphold, support and deliver upon Springboard’s mission, which is to provide first mortgage loans to borrowers who are typically defined within a marketplace as a first time homebuyer and who are generally in the low to moderate income wage brackets and underserved market segments. This position explains status of mortgage readiness to clients, helps to develop remedial action plans if clients are not immediately able to qualify for a home loan. Promotes a positive image of Springboard CDFI / Home Loans throughout the community through participation in various awareness and community relation programs. The work time is at least 51% of the time outside of assigned Company location and home.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 2-5 years in the mortgage or credit-related field. Minimum of 2 years of financial experience. Demonstrated performance and work experience may be a substitute for the education requirements.
- Must possess applicable NMLS License; must maintain and recertify NMLS license throughout employment.
- Demonstrated effective verbal, listening, and written communication skills; ability to communicate professionally to clients, lenders and co-workers.
- Recognized ability to function efficiently in a computerized environment. Possess high level skills using personal computer applications such as Microsoft Office and Encompass.
- Capability to work independently with self-direction as well as in one-on-one/group settings; in and with diverse individuals and communities.
- Acknowledged accuracy and attention to detail; effective planning, organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- Confirmed flexibility to attend out of area training, meetings, and seminars.
- The work time is at least 51% of the time outside of assigned Company location and home.
- Responds in a timely manner to initial client inquiries, answers questions about mortgage readiness and the requirements necessary to qualify for a home loan, assists clients with loan applications received from a variety of sources including Springboard CDFI’s proprietary website, referrals from housing counseling agencies, realtors, etc.
- Explains in a clear manner the loan approval and home purchase process to applicants and address the client’s unique circumstances and concerns; helping the client understand issues that may impact final loan approval and find solutions relevant to their individual situation.
- Creates an initial determination of mortgage readiness, informs the client about the status of their application and provides legally required notifications and pre-approval letters after reviewing all of the relevant documentation.
- Obtains mortgage credit reports, reviews the information to determine issues that could impact loan approval and works with the client and the credit report agency to correct and update information in the report.
- Supports approved clients with the home shopping processing by preparing pre-approval letters, connecting them with real estate professionals, explaining the borrower’s financing to real estate agents, home sellers and cross-qualification lenders.
- Assists the client in submitting a complete and accurate residential mortgage application, secures the required supporting documentation from the client; reviews client’s income, asset and credit documentation and asks appropriate clarifying questions to determine eligibility for various mortgage products.
- Updates Springboard’s Encompass loan origination system to accurately reflect all of the client’s income, asset and credit information; submits the loan file to the appropriate automated underwriting system (e.g. Fannie Mae Desktop Underwriter, Freddie Mac Loan Prospector, or FHA Total Scorecard).
- Assists clients through the loan closing process by providing updates to loan status and working with the clients to resolve loan processing, underwriting and closing; engages with borrower to resolve problems, update financing options, update loan terms and answer questions about closing status.
- Complies with all laws and regulations governing Mortgage Loan Originators including Truth-In-Lending RESPA Integrated Disclosures (TRID), fair lending, privacy and all other applicable laws and regulations.
- Acts as point of contact to borrowers, real estate agents, settlement agents, title officers, appraisal management companies, credit reporting agencies, and internally with loan processors, underwriters, funders and Springboard management.
- Receives assignments from the Production Manager and/or EVP. Works independently within clear guidelines and established agency policies and procedures. Supervisor is available for guidance and consultation.
- Assists and perform all other duties as assigned.
The duties and responsibilities described above may provide only a partial description of this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all aspects of the job. Other duties and responsibilities not outlined in this document may be added as necessary or desirable, with or without notice.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Heavy phone volume which requires speaking for 90% of a scheduled shift.
- The individual is required to regularly sit at a computer and enter data for extended periods of time.
- The individual is required to listen and talk to individuals and before groups in the performance of the job.
- The individual is regularly called upon to deal with stressful situations and a high work volume.
- The individual is regularly required to stand, walk and drive for extended periods of time.
- The individual is occasionally required to bend, stretch and use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls and to reach with hands and arms.
- The individual is occasionally required to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Position requires some travel and scheduling flexibility.